Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Door #4



When I picked this up at a car boot I didn’t notice it had a crack, all the way from the edge to the label. All things considered it plays pretty well. Could you say that about a CD?

Honey Cone were Carolyn Willis, Shelly Clark, and Edna Wright and were active between 1966 and 1973. 1971 was their big year – “Want Ads” made #1 in the US and they had another couple of top 20 hits that year too. By 1972 this single barley made the top 100 in the US. My UK issue would have been one of only a few to have troubled the UK chart compilers I guess.   


Their Wiki entry tells me that Shelly Clark married Verdine White of Earth, Wind & Fire. So they have now been hitched for about the same number of years as Mrs Darce and me.


Honey Cone – It’s Better To Have Loved And Lost 1972  

3 comments:

Robert Cass said...

Have you ever heard their songs "While You're Out Looking for Sugar" and "One Monkey Don't Stop No Show"? Both are excellent.

darcy said...

I think I've got "Monkey" on a compilation somewhere. Not familiar with "Sugar", youtube beckons :)

Robert Cass said...

What's your e-mail address? I can send you an MP3 from a Rhino Records "Soul Hits of the '70s" CD I bought back in '96.