Monday, December 17, 2012

Door #17


Note to self: instead of constantly looking for the next piece of vinyl to buy, have a look through your own collection and you might be surprised at what you find. 

I bought the album that this track is from at a boot sale at least a couple of years ago now I reckon. Played it once, nothing grabbed me, so it was filed. I came across it a few days ago, and it is currently staying very close to the turntable. The trick is, of course, to play an album a few times and let it sink in. In my my increasingly obsessive and crazed hunt for vinyl, more and more of it, I too often don't do that.   

Lenny Williams has one of those voices - give him a telephone book to sing and it would be worth listening to. My introduction to him was as the lead singer with Tower Of Power. He had a few solo 45 releases in the late 60s on Fantasy and Galaxy before he joined TOP. The track featured here comes from his first solo album after leaving the Oakland Strokers. The album is called "Pray For The Lion" although that title does not appear anywhere on the cover. The best description I can come up with for this album is understated, but give it a chance and there are some gems to be found... and of course there is also Lenny's voice.

Lenny Williams - Keep On Keeping On 1974 

 

No comments: