Sunday, December 13, 2020

The Feel It Adventure 2020: Door 13


Running down the alphabet Little Milton could qualify as an L or an M, or indeed a C (for Campbell). In my boxes he is filed under M. No rhyme or reason to that really as, for instance, Little Beaver and Little Richard are both filed under L. That will no doubt cause me no little consternation sometime in the future and propel me into a blind panic as I try and find one of these artists' records.

I bought what amounted to a small job lot (they were listed individually by an ebay seller and I won them all) of Little Milton 45s earlier this year which swelled my collection of his singles considerably. That happened to be around the same time Mr Finewine featured a lot of his Checker output on Downtown Soulville (come to think of it that show was another decorating soundtrack). That show may have inspired my purchase but I think I had already bought my little batch by then.

Little Milton has only featured once before on Feel It – back in 2014, behind Door 22 of that year's Advent-ure. High time we had another another one then. This is a great version of a well known song that originally had Italian lyrics. Leiber & Stoller penned the English lyrics and Ben E. King was the first person to have an English version released, in June '63. Here in the UK we will probably all be most familiar with Shirley Bassey's rendition which was also released in '63 and peaked at #6 in the UK charts. And who had the highest charting version of the song in the USA? Look to Wales again – it was (Sir) Tom Jones who reached #14 in the Billboard charts in 1970, again a great version.

Little Milton – I Who Have Nothing 1968

No comments: