Thursday, December 10, 2020

The Feel It Advent-ure 2020: Door 10


I've said before here, probably more than once, that I can go from to room to room around our house and be reminded of a song, or songs, I heard while decorating. I'll admit in some rooms the recollections are getting more than a little hazy – which either means I have been neglecting the decorating duties in recent years, or I'm an old geezer and my memory is failing me! Yes, both!

Back in August our spare room had the redecorating treatment. “Spare room” used to mean my junk room / secondary vinyl storage room. But I have been very good and decluttered (in truth I just managed to move most of it elsewhere in the house), and “spare room” now = our daughter's home office.

So what was my decorating soundtrack? Mainly old Downtown Soulville shows as presented by the always superb Mr. Finewine at WFMU. Plenty of old shows from the archives and a few new ones two. Towards the end of August he featured Ruby Johnson two weeks running, playing both sides of most of her 60s singles. I learnt that, like me, he is a big fan of Ruby's. All the singles he played nestle in his collection. It reminded me I must hunt down a few more of hers, it's not an easy task though, they don't often come up for sale – especially in the UK – and are often on the expensive side.

Anyway, the “spare room” for me is now known as the Ruby Johnson room. Here is the only single of hers I own.

Ruby Johnson – Weak Spot 1966

No comments: