Thursday, December 17, 2020

The Feel It Advent-ure 2020: Door 17

I have three Qs in the box – Madlyn Quebec, Quiet Elegance, and The Quadraphonics.

Let's go with The Quadraphonics with a fine slab of mid '70s group soul. The sort of sound that leaves you with a warm glow.


According to Discogs the group hailed from Milwaukee and this was their only release Originally on Innovation II it caused enough of a stir for Warner Bros to pick it up for national release in the US, although I'm not sure it made it past promo stage. A Contempo release in the UK hints at the fact it must have had some action in the UK too. I was going to say that would presumably have been Northern action, but this sound is, to my ears, a bit too slow, lush, and dare I say it sophisticated for the Northern dancefloors of the time? 

The track is basically a cover of Betcha If You Ask Around by Velvet which saw a release on Perception in 1973.

I love it.

The Quadraphonics – Betcha If You Check It Out 1974

No comments: