Sunday, December 05, 2021

The Feel it Advent-ure 2021: Door 5


It has taken me an awfully long time to catch up with her but I finally bought a couple of Miss LaVell 45s this year. Both looked pretty beat up but play remarkable well.

Here's one of them. A click at the beginning, but this adds to its charm I think. The track's arrangement gives it a really exotic feel and I love the soaring brass, and Miss LaVell's vocals top everything off wonderfully.

Miss LaVell – Run To You 1963

Lillia Lavell “Lavelle” White, to give her her real name, is still alive and is now 92 years young. Her recorded output runs to six singles on Duke between 1958 and 1965, and then three albums released between 1994 and 2003. Quite a gap! She has been writing and performing most of her life, and is still performing on the Texas Blues scene, though she says she's not just a blues singer, encompassing funk and soul too. She has an active Facebook page where I did read a very recent “get well” comment so I hope she is still doing OK.

No comments: