Friday, February 06, 2015

Don Covay 1938-2015

It was Larry’s post over at Funky16Corners that alerted me to the sad news of Don Covay’s passing on January 30th. He passed away in his sleep after being ill for some time. 

A true giant of Soul and R&B, I wrote a little piece on him last July. Reading it again, it really does say all I feel about the man and his music and I am happy for it to be taken as my tribute to him. In truth I’m a bit too choked to say anything else now.

Soul music has lost another great.

RIP Don Covay.






PS. Playing I Stole Some Love just now Mrs Darce piped up and said “that sounds like Mick Jagger” (Mrs Darce doesn’t profess to be a music expert but is often right on the money) . I expect Mick is paying his respects too, in reality he has been for many years.

PPS. You can read Red Kelly’s extensive piece on him here. It follows his career  and was something Red put together a few years ago.

3 comments:

Charity Chic said...

Sad news. I stole some love is a great legacy to leave

george said...

I Stole Love is indeed a might soul song.

ally. said...

to my shame he's yet another someone
i've no records by. your lovely stuff on him shal put that right
x