Friday, September 20, 2013

Tapping my feet #16 (12" heaven - nudge nudge, wink wink)


I have too many records. Recently I made the momentous decision to purge some of the ones I bought back in the 70s/early 80s. These form the core of my collection and I have a special affinity towards them – the first ones I bought, memories, and all that. But some, especially the 12” singles, I’m sure I will never play again and I need the space (for more records!).

This one found its way, briefly, onto the out pile. I thought I would give it one last play and found that the B side has some merit – more than some merit, in fact - and I’m not sure I had ever played it before! (It bears no real resemblance to its namesake (Part I) on the other side). So it has been returned to the bosom of my collection. 

Dick Morrissey and Ronnie Scott are the sax players on this track. They of the horn. I seem to remember reading somewhere (but I could easily be wrong) that Dick could be heard on some film soundtracks of, shall we say, the smutty variety. If that was true, I wouldn’t mind betting he slipped this one in (sorry!) in his lunch hour during one such soundtrack session. (“Let’s do a disco number”. “What shall we call it?”).   

This one is very long and Dick keeps it up admirably (sorry again!). It certainly has its moments – just like one of those films he may have soundtracked (or so I imagine!).   



PS: It has just registered that the combined playing time of the two sides of this 12” exceed the length of Arthur Conley’s entire “Sweet Soul Music” LP! How times changed in 13 years! And, indeed, the ”excesses” of the 70s/80s era 12” have been reined back somewhat since then too, I think .   

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having just enjoyed a long and pleasurable intercourse with the b-side (not in the r/gonewild meaning of that, I hasten to add), I feel the need to ask: is there any chance of a casual but exciting meeting with the a-side?
Hesitantly waiting.
Luca.

Darcy said...

Luca,

I swallowed hard and put MP into Youtube ... and it turns out Part 1 appeared there a couple of months ago! I don't think it holds a candle to Part 2 myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqbVTdzmNTY