Saturday, June 18, 2011

Beside myself : let me take you to the other side


Over the next week or so I intend to post a string of great B-sides. They should be coming at you thick and fast. Yes at a posting frequency never before seen hereabouts! Possibly daily!!

This little series was prompted initially by this perfectly appropriately named Evelyn King B-side, heard a few weeks ago on an Internet radio show (Andy Smith, I think). That sounds good I thought, and after a rummage through the boxes I realised I had my very own copy. (It was during this rummage that I rediscovered Evelyn’s “Let’s Get Funky Tonight”, posted a few weeks ago). Since then I’ve had a few good sessions pulling records out of my boxes and  have reacquainted myself with a lot of other really strong B-sides so I thought I would share some of them.

“The Other Side Of Love” was, in fact, the other side of “I’m In Love”, a tune I just couldn’t get enough of back in the day which probably accounted for me overlooking this great track, until now.

(It’s bugging me too because it reminds me strongly of something else – Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway? An Ashford & Simpson track? No, something else I think. I’m sure I’ve got it whatever it is but I can’t put my finger on it. Any help would be appreciated.)

Evelyn King – The Other Side Of Love  1981   

3 comments:

Robert Cass said...

It sounds a lot like "Two Hearts" by Stephanie Mills and Teddy Pendergrass, which came out the same year. Hmm ... did Lester Brown rip off Reggie Lucas and James and Tawatha Mtume, or was it the other way around?

Robert Cass said...

Sorry, that's Willie Lester and Rodney Brown, not Lester Brown. I didn't see the comma at first on the 45.

Robert Cass said...

Correction: it sounds more like Mills's "What Cha Gonna Do With My Lovin'," especially the intro. That song came out in '79 and was written by Lucas and James Mtume, so I'd say Lester and Brown were definitely copycatting, even if it was unintentional.