Tuesday, December 10, 2019

The Feel It Mini Advent-ure: Door 10


Huh? What happened to doors 1 to 9?


I decided recently I would attempt another Feel It Advent-ure this year - a post a day for every day on the advent calendar. Crazy, considering I haven't even been able to muster a post a month this year so far!

And it was indeed a crazy idea. Inhabiting my newly retired world it is quite commonplace for me to lose track of which day of the week it is, but I have now taken it a stage further – it was the 3rd before I even realised it was December! In all honesty I secretly breathed a sigh of relief – 24 days and 24 posts was a bit of a stretch for a blog that has seemed itself to be flirting with retirement.

The Feel It mini Advent-ure start here!


But now here we are – the 10th of December – a Tuesday I believe – and I am feeling a bit guilty about how easily I slipped into the do nothing approach here after a false start to the month. So today I present the first day of the 2019 Feel It Mini Advent-ure. Surely I can manage 15 days in a row?



I found this Chuck Jackson single in a record shop £1 box recently. I was buying a handful of other singles so in the end this one was essentially thrown in for free. I didn't know its value but I knew there were some desirable releases on the Red/Yellow Pye Intl label, so I had a hunch it was a bargain. I think it was in the £1 box because the intro sounded completely trashed, but a good clean has improved it no end. Discogs has a median price of £21 on this, so it is indeed a bargain.

Research tells me that Chuck Jackson was the first to have a hit with this song, written in 1962 by Burt Bacharach and Bob Hilliard, and possibly also the first to record it. It has subsequently been recorded by many other artists and I thought I remembered featuring Percy Sledge's version here before, I checked, and sure enough I did back in 2008 – on Christmas Eve. So it seems that “Any Day Now” has developed into something of a Christmas song for me.


*originally released in the UK on Stateside


3 comments:

drew said...

I love this song and Chuck's version is near the top. I think on a par with Elvis' and just behind Scott Walker's.

Good to have you back Darcy

drew said...

Meant to say my copy is on Wand, hadn't realised it had been released on Pye

Darcy said...

Glad to be back Drew, we'll see how long the mojo lasts this time!

The original UK release on Stateside apparently has a version of The Prophet sung by Ed Bruce, not Chuck. A mess up in the mastering department no doubt.
Maybe that is why it got a re release on Pye, where it is clearly Chuck singing.