Wednesday, December 22, 2021

The Feel It Advent-ure 2021: Door 22


I have been feeling a bit nostalgic for the 70s this last few days, probably fuelled by watching episodes of Fawlty Towers and The Sweeney (it's a Christmas thing with me).

The early 70s was when music first became an essential part of my world, and the wah wah funk of this track places it unmistakably from that era.

Very little is known of Timmy Willis, or Henry Sapp to give him is real name. That information I found in this article which, amongst its many side turns, does a good job of mapping out his singing career, or at least as much of it as anybody knows. I notice he was, for a short time, in a group called The Suspicious Can Openers! (I would love to know how they came up with that name).

This was Timmy Willis' last of six single releases (the B side actually), released late in 1972 in the US and getting a UK release in the Spring of 1973. I guess you would call him another journeyman in the Soul world, but all his singles are worth picking up and I'm looking out for them.

Timmy Willis – Don't Want To Set Me Free 1972

No comments: