Tuesday, December 21, 2021

The Feel It Advent-ure 2021: Door 21


I'm a sucker for a moody and melancholy tune. Here is one I initially heard on one of the always excellent Dogpatch podcasts. Each podcast has a rough theme and features music (always obscure) from the record collections of Dante Carfagna and Jon Kirby interspersed with wonderful dosings of their “color commentary” (to quote their About line). Always brilliant, and always educational if you like exploring the musical byways of the last 60 years or so, as I do.

There aren't any track-listings for these shows so I can't tell you which one this came from now. That's a shame because I want to listen to it again. From memory, there were a few tracks like this included in it and playing this one again I now want to take a stab at hunting down physical copies of a few more of them.

This one proved pretty easy to find (not always the case, I can tell you!). It's not expensive in itself, although after factoring in the postage cost it wasn't so cheap. I did have to get a copy from America because it does not generally seem to be in any UK dealers' stock.

This one arrived in its original sleeve, which is in fantastic condition considering its age. It looks great!

Ella Johnson with Buddy Johnson & His Orchestra - Don't Fail Me Baby  1958

No comments: