Tuesday, December 24, 2019

The Feel It Mini Advent-ure: Door 24



It's Christmas Eve! Another Feel It Advent-ure is over, already (albeit after a late start!). I know it's a cliché, but the days and years seems to go by quicker and quicker.

Although not the typical thing you would hear around here I couldn't resist posting a little of this EP today, a festive find in a second hand shop just 24 hours ago. It truly is enchanting.

The noise between tracks is a coin drop. These were not played on the average musical box you might have found on a lady's dressing table, but in disc musical boxes (I'm not sure I knew there was such a thing). Some were made for public places and were essentially “juke boxes”. The boxes were in the Roy Mickleburgh, of Bristol, collection. Mickleburgh's musical instrument shop was established in 1903 and is still trading today.

Merry Christmas to you all.

Enchanted Carols , released in 1966 on a Saydisc EP: 
Silent Night (played on a Polyphon 9 1/2” disc).
Good King Wenceslas (played on a Polyphon 22” disc with a glockenspiel attachment).


PS: I managed to fix my turntable. It got worse before it got better, I lost a channel altogether. But it seems OK again now.

4 comments:

Raggedy said...

Merry Christmas to you, Darcy and all your readers. I couldn’t agree more with you on the subject of time flying by faster and faster. Nevertheless, the memories get more and sweeter too as time goes by. There’s nothing better than a song from the past to cheer one up!

drew said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours Darcy. I know that I haven't commented on any but one of the posts in the mini Advent-ure but it is great to have you back and the music is as impeccable as ever.

C said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family Darcy.

Anonymous said...

Long time reader, thanks for the continued greatness. Happy New Year