Thursday, December 19, 2019

The Feel It Mini Advent-ure: Door 19




Around the world in a morning: Jamaica - Lebanon - Brazil – Switzerland - France - Zummerset.

Back in July I found a box full of singles and EPs from all over the world in a chazza (all in mint condition too). Heavy on the German unfortunately but it was well worth a detailed perusal. I would have taken a punt on a few more but at £1 a pop I limited myself to six which I was very happy with.

I can't begin to describe how great the Beirut EP is and it probably is my find of the year. This was one of a series of Musical Souvenirs released on Philips back in 1960. The back cover lists the other cities and countries covered in the series: London, Tyrol, Scotland, Ireland, Vienna, Budapest, Amsterdam, Yugoslavia, Paris, Rome, Naples, Switzerland, Madrid, Berlin. I can't help thinking, in fact I'm sure, I found the real jewel in this series.

The EP features two tracks each from Rinda and Souad Hashem. Philips also issued the two Rinda tracks on a single in Finland of all places.

Playing this again just now has reminded me I really need to hunt down more of this style of music but finding it on vinyl will no doubt prove difficult!

The EP is so good I'm treating you to two of the four tracks.




No comments: