Thursday, December 20, 2012

Door #20



My place of work is a quiet office for most of the year. Almost library like at times. But at this time of year, specifically the last couple of days before our extended festive break, it all changes as our boss in his infinite wisdom “treats” us to Classic Gold on the tinniest of radios. I am ready to throw myself out of the window by 11 o’clock in the morning.    

We don’t have much turnover staff-wise but this year a new “young” (30something) colleague has joined the team. He was ready to throw himself out of the window by 10 o’clock I think.

At times to try and combat the general cacophony we discussed music.. er.. worth talking about (in a music snob type kind of way, of course). I have turned him on to Augustus Pablo lately and he is in the process of recommending early hip-hop and rap that I should investigate. I can’t remember precisely why now, but he mentioned the name George Clinton today. “God” was my immediate response.  I urged him to explore all of the Parliafunkadelicment Thang catalog.

Funkadelic – Music For My Mother (single version A side) 1969  

No comments: